Friday, February 12, 2010

I have a confession.

I am scared to be a mom.

I hope I am a good mother. That's what I am thinking about lately.

I am so excited to have a baby. So excited to be a mother soon. I can't believe it! I am so amazed.

And I am so emotional.

Lately, I find myself crying (or feeling like I have just been crying) often. I'm feeling a bit nervous to be a mom. Is this normal? I sure hope it is.

I love this baby so much. And I want to be such a good mother to him.

My mom told me this morning that the only time you don't worry about your child is when you are making him. And then from that point on, the moment you know he is there- you are worrying.

It's good- very good to know, that I am not doing this on my own. I am so grateful for Dashing Boy, my mom, family, friends and most of all The Saviour, who helps me in times of worry and who has the ability to cast out fear and turn it to faith. What a blessing that is!

7 comments:

Gigi said...

you are going to be a great fantastic and wonderful mom! the true test will be if his picture will replace one of the 9!

Shauntel said...

I know you don't know me, but our mutual friend, Nicole Santiago, pointed me in the direction of your lovely blog months and months ago, and I've been following you ever since. (Your dedication to salad completely blew me away. I can only do it for a week at most. ;) )

I had my first baby seven months ago (a sweet baby girl named Annabelle). I spent every instant of pregnancy being worried - worried about the baby, worried about the birth process, worried about my capacity to be a mother.

And then she came out. And quite instantly, you just know. A mother knows her baby unlike anyone else. You'll still worry, but you'll know what that little boy needs, and he will love you just as instantly as you'll love him. I also believe that moms are blessed with special promptings to help us along.

All in all, motherhood is the best thing I've ever experienced. I love every minute.

And I'm so excited for you. :)

Cristie said...

I second both Gigi and Shauntel. You'll be wonderful, how could you be anything less?

Larn said...

jennifer. you are one of the most amazing people i know. you are sweet and kind and smart and loving and talented. you are going to be the best mother to your little guy. i love you!

Janis said...

Being a mom comes a lot more naturally and is easier than being a wife. (Don't tell Greg I said that :)

MEvans said...

9 years and 5 kids later, I still worry (probably even more now) that I won't be the best Mom for each of my babies. The worry just gets bigger with the child. I like to think that it's because you are already a good mother that you worry. If a mother isn't constantly thinking about and striving for this, that's when there is a problem.
Matt and I are both so excited for you guys! We've said you would be phenomanal parents from the time you were dating!

Mrs. Olsen said...

Janis...naughty! (but made me laugh).

Worry is normal,and expected! I do have a word of warning though. Don't buy into the parent paranoia that is totally pervasive today. Set boundaries but let your kid explore and develop independently within those boundaries. I love the blog http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ because it brings some common sense back into parenting.

Best of luck!