Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Homemade Fancy, pt 1

This year I wanted make things sparkle a bit more in our home for the holidays. My goal is to spend very little to no money to do this. And so I present to you:
HOMEMADE FANCY 2009!
I have been eying wreaths now for quite some time. But I must be looking in the wrong places or something because all the wreaths I like are $50 or so! Even with adding a coupon to that, that price just seems a little steep. And so, for my my first project I made a wreath. I had all the materials I needed for the project lying around my house so the total price= $0.

This is what it looks like:


For this project you will need:
Fabric scraps
a metal hanger
ribbon if you wish
a ruler
scissors
pliers
gluegun

Step 1: Take the metal hanger and with the wire cutting part on the pliers cut the top part of the hanger off. Then, using the pliers, bend your hanger around into a circle. It doesn't need to be perfect. If there are a few little kinks you won't see them in the end. Bend the two ends of the wire in opposing directions and attach them to each other to complete the circle.


Step 2: Take a strip of fabric and with your gluegun attach one end of the fabric over where the two ends meet each other. Wrap it around this area then glue the other side down.

Step 3: Now it is time to rip your fabric. I ripped mine into roughly 1 1/2 x 8 inch strips. I measured the strip length and then just arbitrarily cut little indentations and ripped them. I like the ripped look plus it's super fast and easy! I had fabric scraps already that needed a use, but if you don't, you can print a coupon online and you can get some fabric for not much. I think a yard total would be plenty!


Step 4: Tie tie tie! Take your strips and tie them around your hanger! then squeeze them all together and tie some more! (I think I could have made mine a tad bushier but thought it looked nice when I stopped). *In this step, before you are completely done, make sure to add a ribbon on the top that you will use to hang the wreath. Fold the ribbon in half, wrap it around the wreath, then pull then ends of the ribbon through the loop. Then tie some strips over it!


Step 5: Now all it needs is a bow or some other decoration! or nothing if you want it simple!


Wallah! A crafty evening and a cute wreath!

5 comments:

Blake and Jenn said...

Jenny! That is adorable and I love that it was so inexpensive:) I need to start being crafty and doing things like that to make my home cuter! Thanks for the inspiration.

candace said...

oh wow! I can't wait to see what else is in store! I'm thinking about painting a fake fire place on my wall...does that count as homemade fancy??

Maren said...

How fancy! It looks great on your green door too!

Cristie said...

It looks darling! You have such great taste and you're so creative. Very well done.

Mara said...

Very cute! I've done something similar for some other projects, but I hadn't thought to do it for a wreath. Definately something I'll have to remember!