Monday, March 16, 2009

I Love You Grampa.


Lemon meringue pie.

It was one of Grampas favorite topics of conversation over the last few months. He loved it- from "Marie Callenders on z street" he would say. "Have you ever been out to Marie Callenders on z street?"

His spirit so strong, so tender, Grampa kept giving and giving love, even when all around and in him, life was changing.

Yesterday I felt a prompting of sorts to go and get a lemon meringue pie from a particular Marie Callenders.

So Dashing Boy and I picked one up. And I went over to my dear Grammy and Grampa's house to share some time, love, and sweet treat.

Grampa was already falling asleep for the night. Just barely tucked in. I leaned down to his ear. "Grampa," I said, "I brought you some lemon meringue pie from the Marie Callenders on z street. You can have some tomorrow if you'd like." Grampa responded but the words couldn't come. And Grammy said, "would you like some lemon meringue pie now dear?" Grampa perked up just a bit and said "yeah."

So I got to do what any blessed granddaughter would dream of doing. I got to feed my tender Grampa his favorite treat, knowing soon that he would cross the veil into the next life.

He sweetly opened his mouth for each bite. And I did my best to make sure there was a pleasant ratio of lemon to meringue. At one point I even saw a big smile flash across his face. He liked it. And then he was ready for bed again.

I kissed his cheek. And his forehead. I told him what a great Grampa he was. And how I loved him so much. And how he had so many people that loved him so much. "I love you Grampa, you're so sweet."

And then Grampa tried to say something. I could see his mouth trying so hard to speak, and his mind pushing so hard for the words to come. But they were too hard.

"And you love us too." I said. "YEAH!" he said. His voice loud, strong, and sincere.

This afternoon, Grampa went to heaven.

And in his lovely home, his whole family gathered to love and share and support and pray and be thankful for their wonderful father. A beautiful legacy. Strong sons and daughters, loving spouses, sensitive and adoring grandchildren all the better because of him.

I love you Grampa.

11 comments:

Jenna said...

Beautiful post. You make me wish I was near my own family so I could spend more time with my grandparents.

Maren said...

Aren't you so glad you didn't ignore the feeling to go get that pie?! What a precious memory you made with your Grampa in his final days. Hugs to your family. Love you guys!

Becca said...

So sorry for your loss, but glad that you got to have such a wonderful final moment with a dear loved one.

Your grandfather (and you!) are in my prayers.

Brittany said...

Jenny, I'm so sorry for your loss. Grandparents are so dear to my heart. I loved your post this morning, it made me cry and think about how grateful I am for the family that we have. Thank you for that...

Nicole said...

So sorry to hear about your dad's father...and your grandpa. Thoughts and prayers are with you. See you tonight.

Mrs. Olsen said...

Jenny, what a tender little moment you were able to share with your sweet Grampa. I hope that his upcoming funeral will be a celebration of his life and that his remaining family will enjoy a new commitment to love each other a little more.

Cristie said...

Lemon meringue pie will never be the same for me. What a tender moment you had with your grandpa. How wonderful that you did what so many of us don't- follow through with the little urges. Much love to you this week and always.

MEvans said...

I had a similiar prompting the last time I saw my grandpa alive. I will forever treasure that last, private moment with him as I'm sure you do. You are such a wonderful example of nurturing your relationships. Thank you.

Jenny said...

Thank you everyone for being so sweet and thoughtful. Seriously it has meant a lot.

Anonymous said...

this makes me want to cry!!! :D ,:(

ACH said...

This story brought tears to my eyes--thank you for sharing. For my Grandpa, it was Pineapple Upside Down Cake, but the love was the same. My grandfather passed away on Sunday, and I've been having a tough time dealing with it--I think I was "meant" to read this post. THANK YOU!