Monday, January 26, 2009

Mockuation

Problem: You graduate from college in the fall and soon learn that the momentous, pivotal graduation ceremony is held only at the conclusion of spring semester-which, of course, you will not be able to attend because you will be moving on and out of college life.

Solution: Mockuation. A fabulous, friend and family celebration that quite possibly could trump any ceremony you've ever attended in the academic arena.

On Sunday I was able to attend the commencement ceremony of Miss A. In addition, I gave my first ever speech at a collegiate gathering. And, I ate fabulous cannoli, made with love by my mother.

Here is Miss A. and her adoring and highly decorated scholarly sister whom I have yet to come up with a blog name for (but who surely will be needing one soon. suggestions are being accepted at this time) :


I believe that sister cousin is on to her 3rd PhD.

The ceremony went something like this:
A welcome address.
Inspirational stories of college graduates.
A poem.
An exhilarating real commencement speech by the surprise speaker Oprah Winfrey.
Motivational quotes
A tribute to friends, family, and financial backing of graduate
And the walk where Miss A's name was announced in full as she ceremoniously received her diploma and posed for pictures.

Miss A. is leaving soon on an LDS Mission where she will be teaching the people Milan, Italy the Gospel of Jesus Christ. As you can see from the above photo, she will be one of the best-dressed missionaries in the fashion capital of the world. Ok, all joking aside, she really will be.

So as a double celebration we ate a lovely Italian feast: homemade pasta and pomodoro, pesto, and chicken parmesan. Fresh salad with wet mozzarella. Homemade tomato focaccia bread. And tiramisu and cannoli:


Congratulations Miss A!

1 comment:

brooke said...

I wish I had some of that cannoli right now... Your blog always makes me hungry :)