Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mrs. Hear. Me. Roar.

Yesterday Dashing Boy and I received an invitation for an alumni dinner at our Alma Mater.

The card was classy and nice and very alumni special looking. Yet something was glaringly wrong with this piece of mail sent out from a university.

It was addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Dashing Boy.

Now, this has happened before with our mail. But usually it is a letter from a sweet older couple or something of the like. Which makes it a lot easier to smile (after a very small huff) and say "what a sweet couple."

But a University?!!! Come on! I did not attend four years of classes and graduate magna cum laude to be referred to by my university as Mrs. Husband.

And so, this morning I made a phone call.

Me: "Hello. I have a question concerning the invitation my husband and I received for the Alumni Dinner."

Assistant to important so and so: "yes, what can I do?"

Me: "Well I attended your university and my information listed on the address is wrong. You see, it is addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Dashing Boy and my name isn't Dashing, it's Jenny."

BOOM! Exhilaration! I am WOMAN!

Assistant: "Oh, ok" (said in very sweet lady voice).

Me: "I just wanted to make sure you could correct this. Thank you so much."

Sweet Lady
: "Oh yes, let me make sure I write this down correctly..."

For one half second I felt a little cautious about my empowering declaration. But I was very nice to the sweet lady, so it's all good. And then after that half second I was filled with excitement because it was such a satisfying and necessary (seriously.) phone call to make.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Priceless!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I love your for that!!!

MEvans said...

Go Jenny Go!! So, does this mean we may be seeing you in our neck of the woods sometime soon?

Mrs. Olsen said...

Come on! Being a Mrs. isn't so bad ;).

go girl

Caren said...

Being a "Mrs." doesn't make you less of a college graduate. It makes you part of something bigger and less "all about you".
Some of us are proud Mrs.s and So-and-So's Mom. I am still a smart, funny, talented woman.
I'm just saying...

Jenny said...

Caren,
I couldn't agree more. I LOVE being a Mrs. and especially a Mrs to Dashing Boy. I would just like to be referred to by my first name- not my husbands. I feel blessed to have taken on Dashing Boys last name.

And I can't wait for the day when I can be referred to as "so and so's mom"!