Friday, January 09, 2009

Socially Accepted Unacceptable Behavior

Last Night Dashing Boy and I went to our first "round table" meeting as the new Cub Scouts Webelos leaders.

Let me just tell you it was a one of a kind experience.

We didn't really know what to expect. This is our first introduction to scouting for both of us. Dashing Boy said he did go to one campout when he was younger. He said he felt a bit out of place when he got out his dad's camping stove to make dinner. The other boys were throwing cans of beans into a gigantic bonfire.

a n y w a y

The meeting began in what seemed like a normal way but quickly things got crazy. Grown men and women standing up at random times doing random things like acting like sprinklers or telling lame jokes.

I looked over at Dashing Boy and saw him trying his hardest to hide a bewildered smile. And I just couldn't help myself. I burst out laughing. Of course no one seemed to notice. They were fully immersed in the whole thing. I swear I could have stood up at any moment to start reciting a poem or lead the room in a chicken dance.

Maybe I will next time.

They asked all the new people to come to the front to tell each other what their calling was and something interesting about them.

When it got to me I really wanted to say:

"My name is Jenny and I am a new Webelos leader. I don't know anything about scouting but my dad gave me his scouting shirt to wear from when he was 15-years-old. It looks all retro and isn't that cool I get to wear my dad's shirt?!"

But then I stopped myself.

These people are serious about scouting.

And I didn't earn those badges on that shirt. Now that might not be acceptable behavior.

I'm sure soon I will get into it. I will probably love it and the opportunity to let loose on society's standard of decorum. Plus everyone there was really nice. And I am looking forward to getting to know our scouts.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Ahhhhh, I was the Bear Den Mother with Darcy.....fun times. I liked all the building and crafting type merit badges, the knots and things not so much. You'll really enjoy all of the cooking merit badges! You'll have to tell me how it goes!

Mrs. Olsen said...

I was laughing my hinie off at this post. It seriously it another world...and guess what? Once you get started, "they" never want you to leave. I was once on a committe (as a primary counselor) and was signed up for the scouting magazine and am still getting it 4 years later.

So glad you get to wear your new retro shirt with a purpose.

Cristie said...

Well, it is a different experience. But how wonderful to be sharing it with Dashing Boy. I also had many years in the cub scouts where I sported a lovely yellow shirt. You do fall in love with the boys and are guaranteed something to grin about at least once a week.